When you’re in a relationship with a man who has a child, sometimes you can be subjected to “baby mama” drama. If your relationship is new, you should avoid spending time with your man when he has his child present. Here are a few tips on how to handle the drama if you’re in a serious, committed relationship or marriage:
- Stay out of it and let the baby daddy handle all of the drama.
- Be careful not to trash talk the baby mama in front of the child.
- Follow the routine the parents set for the child, and don’t change anything.
- All decisions regarding the child should be made by the parents only.
- Remember a child’s loyalty will always be to their parents, not you.
If a baby mama still has feelings for her ex and she hasn’t moved on, she may have a problem accepting another woman being apart of her ex’s life as well as her child’s life. Usually it’s jealousy that will cause the drama between all of you. The child is often used as a pawn to get back at the other parent, but in reality it’s the child that suffers the most.
If you decide to stay in the relationship and deal with the baby mama drama, just know that it won’t be easy but if your love is strong, your relationship will survive. Remember, the motive of the baby mama may just be to ruin your relationship with her ex. Remain supportive and united and don’t let her know she is getting under your skin, or she will push harder. Try to get along with her if possible because she will be part of your lives for many years to come. Usually once she sees you aren’t going anywhere, she will often end the drama and accept that the three of you must coexist for the sake of the child.